Having more space in your home is always a good thing. Just imagine what could you do if your living room was just a few square feet larger. You could move furniture around a bit and make it more spacious. Or you could finally fit in that bookshelf you always wanted. But why stop there? What could you do with a whole extra room? A whole extra floor? Benefits of room additions and the options they offer are virtually infinite. And with companies offering comprehensive general contracting Los Angeles services, you won’t even have to bother with planning and organizing the works. So, adding a room or two is not only beneficial – it can be convenient and easy.
Do the benefits of room additions outweigh the cost?
The home additions Los Angeles contractors implement is an excellent investment. Both short and long-term.
Short-term effects are visible immediately:
- Refreshes the look of your house, giving it that “new” feel.
- You have more options to tweak the layout and make the house more comfortable.
- Your home becomes more spacious. With more space, cluttered areas will become much less common.
Long-term effects are a bit harder to see, at first. However, in the long run, the investment will pay off many times over:
- In most cases, a room addition is actually cheaper than moving.
- Adding to a home can increase the resale value.
- Additional room can be a potential source of income.
As you can see, there are practically no downsides. After all, improving your home is always beneficial.
A new room doesn’t have to be in your house, per se
Sometimes, you need more space, but you don’t want to change anything about your home. In this case, the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a perfect solution. ADU can be attached to the main building, or it can be a separate structure. If you decide to go with this option, work closely with your Los Angeles ADU contractor. It will ensure your ADU is both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
More space can allow for a touch of luxury
Room additions don’t always imply adding a whole new room. Improving on the existing is also a valid option. This is solution is best if you have limited yard space and want to preserve as much of it as possible. And even a few square feet can make a difference.
This type of home extension can work on virtually every part of the house:
- Increasing the size of the kitchen will allow the master chef within you to thrive. If you love hosting dinner parties you can even rework a part of it and turn it into a dining room. Or even add a cool-looking minibar.
- Your living room can become a spacious salon – comfortable and breathtaking.
- You can turn your bedroom into a master bedroom. Finally, you’ll be able to throw in that amazingly comfortable king-size bed.
- Even a bathroom is not exempt from a home addition. Relaxing in a large bathtub certainly beats quick showers.
Room additions are often cheaper than moving
The need for extra space is the prime reason for moving. But the process itself is incredibly taxing. And, not to mention, expensive. So, why go through all that hustle, just for an extra room? You can achieve the same goal with a room addition. More importantly, you get to remain at the place that carries so many memories.
Added space can serve any purpose you imagine
The benefits of room additions lay in the possibilities they offer. A new room can become everything you ever wanted or needed. Some examples of what you can do include, but not limited to:
- Nursery/children’s room – As your family increases, more space becomes imperative. A nursery will make your life easier. And, further down the line, you can easily adapt it into a children’s room.
- Guest room – Having family or friends swing by for a weekend is always fun. But it’s also an invasion of your privacy, albeit a welcome one. With a guest room, you can eliminate this problem.
- Storage – With everything so readily within our reach, clutter is easy to build up in your home. More space will allow you to keep your home neat and tidy.
- Game/media room – Everybody needs a cozy place to relax and unwind. With a bit of effort, you can have a mini-theatre in your home. Or an amazing place for gatherings and fun.
- Hobby/craft room – Your passion shouldn’t suffer just because of lack of space. Add a hobby room and you’ll enjoy every minute of your pastime.
- Home office – Dedicated working space will skyrocket your productivity.
Increase the value of your home
One of the greatest long-term benefits of room additions is an increase in the resale value. In this case, bigger does mean better. Spacious homes sell for more, and they do sell faster. So, even if you decide to move, you won’t have to struggle for months, while you wait for the sale to go through. You’ll be able to plan better and save a lot of time, energy, and nerves.
A potential source of extra income
An unused basement or a garage is a wasted opportunity and a money sink. You have to maintain it, without any sort of return. So, why not make it useful and make your life easier? You can adapt parts of your house into a space that you can rent. It does require an initial investment. But after only a short while, it will pay off, and you will start to see the profit.
Consult your general contractor before you make a decision
The benefits of room additions are numerous and undeniable. Still, it’s a major project, that you shouldn’t approach lightly. To ensure optimal results, be sure to contact your Los Angeles general contractors. Discuss your options and don’t be afraid to share your ideas. They will help you improve on it. And, more often than not, help you save a significant amount of money, time, and energy.